Friday, February 17, 2012

Vintage Sheet Girls Dress

What do you do when your tomboy daughter suddenly craves TONS of dresses? If you're me you start sewing LOL.

About a month ago, my 7-yr old daughter went to her first Princess dance at school. I took her shopping at Kohls, primarily because I like the selection of clothes for kids. I found an adorable dress clearanced for $16.00. SCORE!! It was faux velvet and embroidered tafetta, left over from the holidays. Still being winter time, the dress was perfect for the occassion.

I made the bad decision of letting her look at additional dresses- the new Spring ones were all so cute. I had no idea my Lil' Boo would go into fashion overload and want EVERY dress she saw.

My solution: Break it too her that I can make her some dresses.

It's easier.

Gentle on the pocketbook.

And I can use up some of my vintage bedsheet stash.

I found this cute Butterick pattern, and decided on it because of the various neckline, sleeve and hem options:
Photobucket

I grabbed a pink/floral sheet and asked Lil' Boo if she wanted sleeves- of course she did :-) I started the dress last night, and finished it up today while she was at school. When I asked her to try it on, she was AMAZED that I got it completed. Honestly this is a super-duper easy pattern to sew. Only 4-5 pieces and bias tape for the neckline. I make my own to match the dress...

Photobucket
Here's Boo modeling for me. She just had to grin big and wide to show off her missing teeth!

Photobucket
She loves that the skirt is full enough to twirl around and around.

I love the idea of using a sheet for this project. It recycles, it's cost effective (I get them for less than $5) and who knows how long this obsession for dresses will last.

Actually I hope it lasts because I already have a son, and really want a girly-girl. Maybe my tomboy is a changing!


Photobucket
Thank you for stopping by to say "Hi". We love getting your comments. If you like our little blog, we'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails