Friday, March 12, 2010

Experimental cooking at it's finest


My husband does not know how to cook. Nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada. I find it kind of sad that a man his age can't cook, but that's just one of the many things I have to work on with him. We're each other's 2nd marriage. I expect a grown man to be able to take care of himself and he expects a seasoned married woman to know how to be able to take care of her man...

We argue ALL the time.

He decided that tonight, since all the children were with our exes, we would try and cook a dish his mother used to make. My MIL is Jewish and it's a food culture I'm still getting used to. My ex husband was Filipino and I adapted so I know I can do this. The dish du jour? Pasta shells in an onion/butter sauce.

Ok. I know it sounds a bit gross.

I diced the onions, because hubby doesn't even know what a cutting board is. He got the box of pasta shells into some boiling water. I melt a stick, YES A STICK, of butter and saute the onions. It seemed plain to me. I throw in some pepper, seasoned salt and garlic powder. I normally have minced garlic in the fridge but recently used the last of that.



It still needed something... "What about sliced mushrooms?" Hubby says sure and I grab a can. I have this mixture getting happy in my big skillet and it seems like a lot of buttered onions to go over the pasta. But once the pasta was done and in the skillet it was a perfect combination! Not too much butter but in my opinion too much onion. Greg thinks it's some Yiddish dish his mother used to make. The ingredients remind me of something from the Depression era. Next time I'm going to add some frozen peas and stock up on the minced garlic.

Tomorrow while I'm doing LOADS of laundry, I'm determined to finish my latest Emme purse and either sew or papercraft... my hands are going crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails