Thursday, June 10, 2010

Julie London: Sultry Singer

My friend Brian re-introduced me to lounge/exotica music. I grew up LOVING it because of my extended family that cared for me in my early years. I spent a lot of time with my Grandma Selvage, who's little apartment was a throw back to 1960's decorating. My grand aunts Vivian and Marian also babysat me many times during my elementary school years.

Aunts Vivian and Marian (originally Selvage sisters), lived with Aunt Vivian's husband Stewart over their family business. Back in the day, Uncle Stewart had a shirt-making business here in Louisville. I've got old BW pictures of his store. When that business fell flat, he turned his store into a bowling/trophy store. He sold bowling balls and bags, miscellaneous items for the sports, and ANY kind of trophy you could think of.

My Grandma Selvage was a seamtress for him. I can remember all of the trundle sewing machines that they would rock back and forth with their feet to make shirts. They had a special section in the glass display racks that housed "jewelry", and I also felt special when Grandma let me pick a ring out.

The apartment over the business was straight out of the 1940's through 1950's. I remember a huge radio that sat in the hallway and always wished to have something like that when I got older LOL.

Julie London has turned into one of my favorite 1950's singers. She's not as popular as some, and a lot of people may remember her acting career more than her singing career. I think she has a sultry voice which is in my vocal range. I can't sing to save my life, but I can croon with Julie because her notes are what I can hit.


So Brian was surprised I liked that "era" of music. Either I have an old soul OR was so impressionable in my early years because I adore it. Or I could be going through a mid-life crisis and just don't realize yet LOL.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails