Thursday, June 10, 2010

Bed Sheet Dress #1

Greg thinks I am absolutely crazy LOL. Sometimes I can be, but I think this was a win-win situation.

One day at the American Council for the Blind thrift store, I was browsing the racks of fabric and bed sheets. I found a pretty king size sheet, and thought "What about a retro dress outta this sheet?" When I got home, I narrowed down Butterick 5209 to make the dress:

Now let me tell you, it is NOT easy to cut a pattern out of a king sized sheet on a dining room table. I thought I was going to have to put the extra leaf in it to accomodate this under taking. But after some stares from Greg, the kids, and the cats thinking they had a tent to play in (because the sheet puddled on the floor), I got the dress cut out.

Originally I was going to make the version that included the back and cap sleeve. I'm a bit modest (my friends WOULD say otherwise) when showing so much exposed skin. I eventually changed my mind and did the halter version.



I am wearing a chocolate shrug because yes, I am being modest. This dress is going to last forever because it's a poly-cotton blend. It is so soft on my skin (of course) and was a BREEZE to sew. The top is fully lined with the same fabric. There's enough left over I might make my daughter a dress... but I doubt she'll wear it since she's a bit of a tom-girl (I can keep dreaming) LOL

2 comments:

  1. That is darling! I love it! I love your chocolate shrug too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely! What a great find!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails