Saturday, October 30, 2010

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

The latest book I've finished is "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" by Seth Grahame-Smith. I must say this book was an AMAZING work of fiction.

Of course the first thing to draw me to the book was the vampire theme. I've always loved vampires! My first love was "Dracula" with Gary Oldman and Winona Ryder. I was so immensely drawn to the strong desire to be with the person you love.

My next love was "Interview With A Vampire" with Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt. I thought Cruise looked hideous as a blonde and appreciated Pitt's struggle with his new was of "life" and hating being a monster.

Then of course came "True Blood"... WOWSA! I've read the entire "Southern Vampire Mysteries" and think the books are way better than the show. But again it's the "love" factor of the TV show that gets me: Bill loves Sookie so strongly but knows he can't make her happy. *SWOON*

And of course I like "Twilight" with it's love connection. But I did feel a little pervy in my reaction to Taylor Lautner on the silver screen... I won't go into THOSE inner feelings HAHA!

So back to this book. The author did an amazing job interweaving actual facts in regards to Lincoln's life with a vampire tale. Lincoln vows to rid America of vampires after they kill his mother. This leads him directly to the White House and the Civil War was fought with vampires in the background. Vampires were actually the ones who wanted to keep slavery and some humans, Jefferson Davis in particular, are blinded by what vampires can give them to further their cause.

Two big thumbs up on this book. I loved it so much I'm thinking about getting his other book "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies".

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails