Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Rocky Horror Glee!

I gotta say... I was pretty impressed last night.

And that's a lot coming from me.

My friend Brian is a HUGE Glee fan. He truly is a Gleek through and through. Every Tuesday on Facebook, he reminds his loyal readers that Glee is on. Thus ensues an entire day-long conversation amongst friends who do and don't like the show.

For me personally, I've always had a problem watching people sing on TV. If it's a movie musical broadcast on TV, I'm okay. But on the flip side of that I can't watch movies where actors who aren't singers, sing. Something just doesn't make sense to my brain. My husband begs me to watch American Idol or America's Got Talent. I'll watch the auditions, but after that I can't do it.

So back to Glee. I knew last night they were doing a Rocky Horror theme for Halloween- that got my attention! When I was in high school in the late 80's, many a Saturday night was spent by me at the Vogue Theatre watching the midnight show of Rocky Horror. I didn't dress up, but I dressed appropriately for the scene and recited the lines (which I have long since forgotten because I haven't done it in years).

I liked Ryan Murphy's vision. I like how some of the lyrics were changed to make it high school teenager appropriate (that's the parent in me). I like how Franken-Furter was performed by a girl- that brought a new perspective to me. I found it interesting that 2 boys were portayed with feeling inadequate about their bodies. You normally only hear that about teenage girls. I do think using the song Toucha-Toucha-Touch Me was a bit much. Yes some words were changed but I still felt that was a bit inappropriate for TV (again just my opinion).

Overall I give the show 2 big thumbs up. Brian would be so happy with me that I watched an entire episode of Glee... it just took Rocky Horror to get me there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails