Thursday, November 18, 2010

All Time Favorite Holiday Songs

Even though my house is split during the holidays (we celebrate both Christmas and Chanuka), I still listen to holiday music 24/7 AFTER Halloween passes. To me there's nothing that puts me more into the holiday season that lit candles and holiday music playing. Especially the older stuff... that just takes my mind back to a time of being young and family traditions.

Growing up, my family, we're talking aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, you name it, were at my parents house Christmas Eve. The kids played and watched TV (this was the 70's and 80's) while the adults played poker. Anyone else have the aunt who wanted to give you kisses but you wouldn't get near her because of her ruby red lips and facial hair? Yep, I had one of those.

One year (and this was BEFORE I knew about Santa), my Dad asked me what I really wanted for Christmas, I whispered I wanted a Western Barbie. I had to have Barbie in her white "satin" outfit with black fringe... does it sound like I remember what she looks like?

Of course the next morning- I HAD Western Barbie. I was just amazed. For all I know my Dad rushed back out to get me that Barbie- he was that kind of Dad. I haven't had a Christmas with him since 1999 (he passed in August 2000). I have so many wonderful holiday memories because of that man.

So anyway, back to my favorite holiday music (they're in no particular order):

Frosty the Snowman (The Ronettes)
All I Want for Christmas Is You (Mariah Carey)
Here Comes Santa Claus (Doris Day)
Step Into Christmas (Elton John)
Santa Baby (Eartha Kitt)
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Burl Ives)
Carol Of the Bells (Mannheim Steamroller)
It's the Most Wonderful Time Of the Year (Amy Grant)
Jingle Bell Rock (Brenda Lee)
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (Sarah MacLachlan)
Baby, It's Cold Outside (Dean Martin)
Linus and Lucy (Vince Guaraldi)
I'll Be Home for Christmas (Josh Groban)
Sleigh Ride (Ella Fitzgerald)
Nutcracker Suite (Brian Setzer)
Melekalikimaka (Bing Crosby)

** Clipart from Retro Christmas Clipart

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails