Friday, July 22, 2011

Introducing, my new hobby

Ugh. I don't have any new projects going on! This has been my first week as a SAHM, and I've been busy catching up on the housework, laundry and transitioning the kids from fulltime daycare. Luckily it's been in the triple digits here, so that's been an excuse to stay in the house :-)

So, on to my new obsession: CANNING. I stumbled upon this awesome blog- Food In Jars, and my eyes have been in HEAVEN to say the least.

I had already been dreaming of canning pickles, and with the new amount of time I have on my hands, I decided to take the plunge.

Photobucket
I bought this little kit for just under $11. It has the plastic basket, 3 jars with lids and a little recipe booklet. I purchased 1.75 pounds of cucumbers, a bunch of spring onions, a jar of minced garlic and a bottle of dill. I already had white vinegar on hand (or you can use apple cider vinegar).

Photobucket
My freshly washed cukes! The last one on the right was a tad bigger than the others, so I cut it and another one in thick slices rather than spears.

Photobucket
In a saucepan I heated up water, vinegar and sea salt to create a brine. I prepared the jars and spooned some minced garlic, chopped spring onions and dill. I then packed the cukes into the jars following basic canning directions. When the brine boiled I poured it in the jars and sealed them up!

I found the recipe on Food In Jars and it's a "quick" one. When the jars are cool you refrigerate them for at least a day and they're good for about a month. I'm taking the jar of slices to my former co-worker, and the others will be waiting for me tonight!

Photobucket
I am tickled by how they look in the jar with the onions, garlic and dill swimming around the cucumbers :-)


Photobucket
Thank you for stopping by to say "Hi". We love getting your comments. If you like our little blog, we'd love for you to become a {Follower} so you can join in on the fun.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I could can. My mother and grandmother did but I never could get into it. But I sure do love canned green beans! Stopped by from the blog hop and am a new follower of your blog thru GFC and I sent a friend request for Facebook. I would love a follow back on both of those also if you don't mind. Thanks and have a wonderful day!

    Mary@http://www.mmbearcupoftea.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails