Saturday, October 2, 2010

Bling Pig Review

Last night Greg and I finally went to a restaurant called The Bling Pig. My friend Mike and his partner Joe started this venture early this Spring and have been having a great success. I was fortunate enough to see the restaurant in it's pre-opening stages and was overcome with a sense of warmth and comfort.

The Blind Pig is located in an area of Louisville called Butchertown. The first homes in that area were planned in the 1820's along a stretch of road (Story Avenue) that goes from Louisville to Lexington. The area was ideal for butchers and stockyards, which still operate today.

The area began to decline after the great flood of 1937. People started to re-locate further away from the Ohio River. Luckily in the 1990's, a great revitalization project for the downtown srea has helped Butchertown. Butchertown itself is home to the Louisville Extreme Park and the Thomas Edison House (where he lived in 1866 on Washington Street).

Now the area can be proud of The Blind Pig!

The restaurant was a delapidated building that was falling apart from neglect and drug use. Mike and Joe worked hard to reuse as much materials as possible. The wood from the original fascade of the building was fashioned into the gorgeous bar, tables and benches. Beautiful brickwork was left exposed and fills the place with warmth.

Greg and I started out at the bar while we waited for our table. He's a "shot" kind of man and I had a glass of their homemade Spicy Sangria. At the table we started with a weekend appetizer special and samples some oysters with handmade sauces. They were absolutely yummy. I also had a mixed green salad with bacon croutons and a dijon vinaigrette.

For dinner we both had the fresh pork sausages with braised cabbage and dijon mustard. They hand stuff their sausages so you know everything is fresh. After that fulfilling dinner, I didn't think I'd have any room for dessert. But I'd been told how wonderful their Butter Pecan Bacon Brittle ice cream was, so I had to try it.

I could not believe the taste! The combination of the salty bacon and the sweet ice cream was a sensory overload. Greg and I shared a bowl and it was gone before we knew it.

Mike and Joe have hit another one out of the park with this place. I cannot wait to take my in-laws to this restaurant for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails